At Pets4You.com, we want everyone to consider the benefits of buying pets from conscientious and reputable breeders, not from Pet Stores. Your role as a Breeder requires a depth of knowledge, commitment and care far surpassing that of a pet store employee who is merely acting as a salesperson.
1. Do not underestimate good customer service and the power of word of mouth. (When someone calls for help or to buy a pet, be the professional you'd enjoy dealing with yourself!)
2. When possible, answer your telephone by the fourth ring.
3. Answer your emails promptly.
4. Be courteous, speak clearly, be patient and educate.
5. Have a marketing plan and budget. (sample: Place Ad on Pets4You.com for 1 year, $325.)
6. Target everyone instead of focusing on a specific target audience. (Market Online, no newspapers or magazines.)
7. Inconsistency will harm your long term success: keep an ad running yearly.
8. Track your traffic effectively! Use Google Analytics or another form of site tracking. Asking them where they heard about you, just doesn't work anymore. If we host your site, then you can use these stats in addition to your own.
9. Do not follow the competition. Instead, create your own place in the market.
10. Quickly follow up on all sales leads and inquiries.
11. Make changes, add pictures, update and proofread your Website often.
12. Have business cards on you at all times and make sure your Website address is prominent on them.
13. Include easy-to-find contact information, including you email and telephone number.
14. Do not blanket your business website with ads that distract from your core message.
15. DON'T copy content or pictures from a competitor's website.
16. Provide an informative and engaging About Us page.
17. Include a specific 'call to action' in every email.
18. Do not Ignore your Advertising Statistics. If we do not host your site, then you should use Google Analytics or another form of site tracking.
19. Focus on forming real relationships instead of focusing on sales. Do not overlook the importance of conversations.
The 10 Secrets of Selling Online, by Paul Graham, Yahoo Small Business
Look Who's Making Money Online - Without the Heavy Lifting by Keith Reagan, July 2001, eCommerce Times
Six Ways to Sell Your Stuff OnLine by Josh Catone, ReadWriteWeb